Being the parent of small children, the irony of 9:30 being considered ‘too early’ at the weekend is currently not lost on me!
But of course not all parkrunners are parents, and anyway, after a hard week of work, it’s understandable that getting to the parkrun start line for 9:30 (in Sweden, Norway and Finland) or 9:00 (Denmark) can feel pretty early.
Here are some basic tips and motivation points to get you up and out of bed on Saturday morning at your local parkrun…
- Get your stuff ready the night before, so you don’t have to spend the morning in a panic trying to find your socks, shorts, shoes… and of course your parkrun barcode!
- When to have breakfast is one of the trickiest decisions that you’ll have to make on a Saturday morning? This is of course a personal decision as to what works for you, but trying to fit in a big breakfast before your parkrun can be a bit of a tight squeeze, unless you are a very early riser.
So why not try and have a very light breakfast before parkrun, and then treat yourself to a proper brunch afterwards, bathing in a post-parkrun glow!
- If possible, use getting to parkrun as a warm-up, either on a bike or as a jog to the start. A short warm-up (maybe 5-10 minutes) will make a big difference to how you will feel when you start.
- Even though parkrun isn’t a race, once you’ve started walking, jogging and running, the adrenaline of parkrunning in a group, usually kicks-in, and the thought that ‘this is too early!’ is quickly forgotten.
- And finally we have to ask… is it really THAT early?! What we definitely know is that you will feel amazing that you have completed your day’s exercise already by around 10.00, and you have the rest of your day and weekend ahead of you!
parkrun Nordics Country Manager
Walking, jogging or running all the events in each different parkrun territory has become a familiar challenge to dedicated parkrunners. It gives people a reason to travel, discover new places and meet new friends, all in the pursuit of parkrun. Here in the Nordics, we look at the parkrunners who hold the records for…
Despite the shortening days and the dropping temperatures, this Saturday saw plenty of records fall with: – More events than ever before (22) – More runners than ever before (1062) – More volunteers than ever before (143) All for free, organised by volunteers with plenty of parkrun love! Here’s how…