Sometimes when speaking to a friend about parkrun, you hear something like this:
‘Yes, I’ll come and do parkrun sometime, but only when I’m fit enough’
We want to convince you that the there’s no need to wait and the time to come to parkrun is now! Here’s seven reasons to come along to parkrun:
1. No-one’s judging you at parkrun. As we always say, it’s not a race. You’re only ever competing with yourself (and even then only if you want to :-). You can walk, jog run around, or a combination of the above. Or of course you can also join in as a volunteer.
2. parkrunners are going to be super friendly and encouraging. Everyone wants you to do well.
3. Consistency is the most important thing at any level of running, from new beginners to top athletes. parkrun offers you the chance to take part, however you want to, in the social company of others.
4. parkrun gives you a great chance to measure progress and celebrate improvements. It’s very motivating to see your PB improving over time.
5. It’s FREE!
6. Don’t put off until tomorrow what you could do today! You’ll thank yourself afterwards.
7. “It’s too early on a Saturday morning”. After you’ve been walking, jogging, running or volunteering for a few minutes, it usually feels ok. The same applies for Saturday mornings too! Remember, EVERYONE is welcome to take part in parkrun and no special levels of fitness are required.
See you on Saturday, right?!
Each year, parkruns around the world celebrate one ‘special day’, where they can hold an additional parkrun outside of the usual Saturday morning. The United States are about to celebrate Thanksgiving, and with it their special parkrunday. Join us as we take a look at the tradition. For much of United States history,…
Since the personal barcode system was introduced in 2009, over 60 million instances of participation have been recorded at parkrun events around the world. Over that time we have insisted that in order to record a time, all finishers must present a printed barcode (either in the form of a paper printout or an…